On this day in 1901, inventor Frank Zamboni was born. This video is of a restored Zamboni Model A, the first Zamboni model, which Frank Zamboni cobbled together out of a tractor and a war surplus Jeep in 1949, after 7 years of trial and error. Before Zamboni invented the ice resurfacer, it took 90 minutes to clean ice shaving off of rinks with shovels and then wait for fresh water to freeze. The Zamboni Model A did it all, cleaning the ice off with an auger scraping up the shavings into a wooden hopper, and water distributed, allowing hockey games and ice shows to proceed in a timely manner on glass smooth ice.
What folks are saying:
"...I've been over to Cars In Depth on many occasions. Barring the whole 3D thing which drives me up the wall (that's a personal thing, though), I like the content, the writing, and the simple formatting. You do a great job over there, and I am impressed."
Latest Bring-A-Trailer Listings
On the Cars In Depth Bookshelf:
At the Drive-In
Live Traffic Feed
- Cars In Depth
A realistic perspective on cars and car culture.
The original 3D car site.
- Antique Auto Advertising: Ernie Kovacs and Edie Adams Pitching the 1955 Ford
- Another Concept Car That GM Maybe Should Have Made: 2002 Cadillac Cien
- Roush Performance Video Tour – Mustang Build Part 12 – Engines
- Roush Performance Video Tour – Mustang Build Part 11 – Interiors
- Roush Performance Video Tour – Mustang Build Part 10 – Decals and Stripes
Find Us On Facebook