On this day in 1901, inventor Frank Zamboni was born. This video is of a restored Zamboni Model A, the first Zamboni model, which Frank Zamboni cobbled together out of a tractor and a war surplus Jeep in 1949, after 7 years of trial and error. Before Zamboni invented the ice resurfacer, it took 90 minutes to clean ice shaving off of rinks with shovels and then wait for fresh water to freeze. The Zamboni Model A did it all, cleaning the ice off with an auger scraping up the shavings into a wooden hopper, and water distributed, allowing hockey games and ice shows to proceed in a timely manner on glass smooth ice.
What folks are saying:
"...I've been over to Cars In Depth on many occasions. Barring the whole 3D thing which drives me up the wall (that's a personal thing, though), I like the content, the writing, and the simple formatting. You do a great job over there, and I am impressed."
Latest Bring-A-Trailer Listings
On the Cars In Depth Bookshelf:
At the Drive-In
Welcome to Cars In Depth:
- Cars In Depth
A realistic perspective on cars and car culture.
The original 3D car site.
- 2015 New York Auto Show: Lincoln Continental Concept – 3D Photos
- 2015 New York Auto Show: Aston Martin Vulcan – 3D Photos
- 2015 New York Auto Shwo: Alfa Romeo TZ2 – 3D Photos
- 2015 New York Auto Show: Alfa Romeo Type 33 Stradale Production – 3D Photos
- Ben Gregory’s Eponymous Front Wheel Drive Porsche Powered Sports Car – 3D Photos
Find Us On Facebook